One of the biggest obstacles that stand in people way when they decide to get healthier, drop the junk weight or become a better athlete is breaking old habits.
One of the main players at the top of the list is going on the piss. Now there is nothing wrong with going for a few drinks so no need to fire in any hate-mail defending the fact that you like a glass of wine. That;s perfectly fine.
For some people though taking a step back from partying for a few months and giving their body a break, focusing on developing some healthy lifestyle habits and catching up on sleep is one of the quickest ways of turning around your health status and giving your fitness goals a massive kickstart.
Whether or not you fall into the category of “Ya, I’m really doing the dog for the past few months/years with the partying and I need to cop the f*&k on for a while” is up to yourself. Simply ask yourself is what you are doing (partying-wise) getting you to where you say you want to be. If it’s not here are 19 alternatives to keeping you busy on a Saturday night.
I’ve used these myself not just to go off drink for a few weeks or months but to do it for life- over 8 years at the time of writing this. I’ll write a blog about that soon covering the why’s, the challenges, etc. but as far as the HOW, here you go:
- Go to the cinema
- Call to a friend for a quality chat
- Go out and drink water or orange juice- stay away from that fizzy shit
- Practice the instrument you keep saying you want to learn
- Practice the language you’ve always wanted to be able to speak
- Visit a family members you haven’t seen in a while
- Read a book
- Study your profession to become an expert in your area
- Go to the gym- no better motivation than thinking of all the people getting hammered while you’re improving your physique/health
- Spend some quality time with your partner/spouse- enjoy a meal, plan your holiday or start on that extra family member 🙂
- Learn a new recipe- I bet you rock an apron like nobody else
- Go to a gig, concert or play
- Go for a walk or run to clear your head and set you up for a great week
- Catch up with your favourite blog
- Complete you college assignments that are due
- Go to bed early to renew your body and mind
- Practice your sport for an hour- hurling skills, shadow boxing, etc.
- Go rock climbing, playing pool, bowling, etc.
The options are endless- what else can you add?
If your partying is getting in the way of your goals, affecting your health or simply not giving you the sense of happiness that you want, pick something from the list, take action and do something about it.