I’m just finished another 6am session, the 7am session is in full flight and it’s a beautiful day outside- what a start to Wednesday!
Like so many other people at the start of 2017, the clients that are in our 7am session all started the year with a certain goal in mind. For some it was to simply get fitter, stronger and healthier. For others it was to drop a specific amount of excess body fat. For others it might have been to improve their sports performance, get out of their health & fitness rut or maybe manage a medical condition through exercise and healthy nutrition.
No matter the person, they’ve all had a goal and have been working towards it since then.
Unfortunately, a lot of people who set goals at the start of the year have fallen off track due to boredom, lack of accountability, lack of a meaningful ‘WHY’ to put in the effort, frustration due to lack of results, etc.
This is sad to see when you consider that the majority of peoples goals revolve around improving their quality of life and the benefits to this are absolutely massive- it’s a shame to see them unfulfilled and now is a great time to change that.
If thats the situation you find yourself in, here are 11 tips to get you back on track so you can enjoy all the benefits that living a healthier and more active lifestyle brings.
- Refocus and recommit to your goals. Take a few minutes to sit down and get clear on the benefits that making those healthier changes will bring to your current lifestyle. One you get clear on them, recommit to taking a action towards them, one step at a time.
- Surround yourself with people who have achieved what you want. The energy from other people who are pro-active with their goals will lift you up higher than you can possibly do on your own. their enthusiasm, commitment, etc. will start to stick to you and the journey will become much easier
- Hire a coach. The number one reason people hire a coach is to provide accountability and guidance. Having a coach in any area of your life that you struggle with is one of the best investments you’ll ever make. This is just as true when it comes to your health, fitness and quality of life
- Start slowly. We all like to think that we can turn all our bad habits around overnight but this simply isn’t the case. Building a long term high quality of lifestyle is and always will be a marathon. Get clear on your goals and then commit to a few small steps that you can build on over time. This is whelp you avoid getting overwhelmed with ‘too much too soon’ syndrome
- Focus on your key habits that naturally impact other habits. For example, for some people, exercising naturally makes then want to go to bed earlier and eat healthier or else they think they are wasting their time. For myself, eating healthy food makes me want to exercise, meditate consistently, etc. because I feel so much better when I’m not eating junk. Find a few habits that positively influence others areas of your life and give the your full focus- what are your key habits?
- Write down your goals. One of the reasons I consistently achieve goals in many areas of my life is that I write them all down and read them regularly. This keeps them fresh in my mind and reminds me that I’m meant to be working towards something slightly out of reach. You’ve heard it a million times but probably never done it- WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS!!!
- Create mental space for yourself. One of the biggest challenges to staying on track for people is having so much mental noise going on that it becomes easier to just sit back and do nothing. Poor work/life demands, crappy nutrition, late nights, poor quality sleep, excess junk tv, excessive partying/alcohol, etc. all fry our ability to process challenges and make good decisions with regard to our health and wellbeing. Focus on removing/reducing the mundane, head-frying activities that you are currently doing and you’ll be amazed at how this impacts your motivation, energy, commitment and results.
As I mentioned in number 3 above, having a coach to guide you along the way is one of the best investments you can make. If you agree, take a few minutes to check out our upcoming 28 day ‘Recommit To Your Resolutions program and get your 2017 goals back on track in the best way possible.
Have a great day.