Fat loss is without a doubt the most requested goal we here from clients.
Whether it’s because it’s affecting their health, robbing them of their confidence, reducing the quality of their relationships or they’re simply unhappy with their physique, most people want to drop the junk weight.
And with Ireland getting fatter and fatter and seeing massive negative consequences as a result, it’s great to see people starting to take their health seriously.
But, unfortunately, I often hear people say they want to drop the junk but then fail to take action on even the basics of fat loss.
I’m talking about basics here, not advanced concepts because 99.99999% of people will never, ever, ever need advanced methods of fat loss. It’s not necessary for their goals. Getting the basics right is where it’s at for most people.
So if your goal is fat loss and you’re not doing thee 8 things then you need to get on top of them or change your goals.
1. Consistent exercise- crazy as it seems, many people who say they want to lose weight never exercise consistently. Are you one of them?
2. Sleep deprivation- if you aren’t getting enough sleep each night you’ll be a slave to junk food and the couch will become your best friend. Hardly a great combination for serious fat loss results
3. Junk food- it’s easy to say your starting tomorrow when you stuffing your face with pizza and coke for the 4th night in a row. It’s been said to death but it’s still true- you can’t out-train a bad diet
4. Unbalanced diet- many people we work with have a huge bias towards carbs at the expense of the other macronutrients (protein and fats). Often they’re not unhealthy choices such as porridge, fruit, wholemeal bread, etc. but if your daily diet consists of 7 pieces of fruit, 4 slices of bread, a bowl of porridge, a big glass of orange juice, potatoes for dinner, a sports drink after training, etc. with little healthy fats and proteins then you’ll never see the results you want
5. Dehydration- with all its benefits (concentration, energy, metabolism, etc.) you simply can’t compete with dehydration. A great starting place is 2 litres a day and it will turbo-charge your energy and drive- a much better place to chase your results from
6. Lack of accountability- this can come on many forms but if you’ve nobody keeping tabs on you who’s going to know or care if you stray? Who’s got your back?
7. Not really wanting to lose fat- if you’re still trying to lose a stone of fat 12 months after starting your “fat-loss” program you probably don’t want to lose fat. Not REALLY
8. Poor exercise choices- there a reason every successful fat-loss program revolves heavily around resistance/strength training, challenging conditioning sessions, etc. and not the cross-trainer so choose your fat loss tools wisely
Take home golden nugget of wisdom
If you’re saying that you want to lose fat but aren’t seeing the results that you want or have been stuck at a plateau for a while, review the list above, see which ones you aren’t doing consistently and make it a priority to get on top of them.