When we meet with a new client, the most common thing we hear is that they want to lose fat.
Being the snakes that we are we always ask them why they want to lose fat. The reason we do this is that we know that saying they want to lose fat is the easy way out. It allows them to dance around the real reasons they came to us in the first place which are always much more powerful,
If we were to simply allow the client to get started with fat loss as their main goal they would be coming on board with a very shallow goal in mind. And when they hit their first obstacle along the way, that shallow goal isn’t going to be strong enough to keep them on track.
But if we can get to the real reason for them coming to us, which is never solely about fat loss, then they have a very strong WHY for committing to do what they said they wanted to do, especially when they come up against any obstacle that tries to derail their efforts.
WEIGHT LOSS ON ITS OWN IS AN ABSOLUTE TERRIBLE GOAL- YOU NEED TO KNOW WHY YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT
They might have said they wanted fat loss, but here’s what they really wanted when we probed a little deeper.
The top 8 reasons WHY in no particular order:
- Doctors advice to manage or avoid medical conditions- diabetes, blood pressure, sleep apnea, cardiovascular disease, etc.
- Better quality time with family- run around with kids, high quality relationship with wife, husband, girlfriend, etc.- because sitting on the couch eating junk and watching tv just doesn’t cut it!!!!
- Increase their confidence- whether you think it’s right or wrong, people get much more confident when they drop the junk weight snd transform their energy levels
- Having a meaningful life for themselves- you only get one shot at it and many people don’t want to spend every morning of it crawling out of bed
- Open up doors to things that previously weren’t accessible such as running a marathon or having the mental energy to learn an instrument
- To be a healthy and fit role model for their children
- Stress management- you can remove a certain amount of stressors from your life but after that it all comes down to managing the ones that remain. Carrying a lot of excess weight makes this much harder
- To improve their mobility and posture and simply move better- junk weight makes simple thing not feel simple anymore
There you go guys. Short and sweet.
The top 8 answers we hear when we ask clients WHY they want to lose weight- it’s never solely about the weight itself and more about what it’s getting in the way of.
Most peoples real goals are made up of a combination of the above. Find out what your real WHY’s are and you’ll have the motivation to do what you need to do.
Until next time